PenOffice 3.3 for Microsoft Windows
Major features, introduced in PenOffice 3
- New UI look and feel. The software was completely redesigned. More than 75% of codebase is new
- Support for Windows Vista and Windows 7 (all editions)
- Support for Microsoft Office XP or later, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point markup
- Support for OpenOffice.org 3.1 or later, specifically Draw, Impress, Calc, and Writer markup
- Support for multi-monitor systems
- New PenOffice Configuration Manager, which allows users to create custom configurations for handwriting recognition functionality
- New handwriting recognition engine with integrated statistical analyzer, Autocorrector and support for additional languages.
- New transparent toolbar
- New transparent keyboard with 14 pre-defined layouts
- Redesigned screen draw mode
- New PenCommander 2.1 scripting engine
- New Visual PenCommander IDE
- New export/import functionality, which allows you to share user dictionaries, Autocorrector word lists, and other configuration settings between PenOffice, CalliGrapher and some other applications
- Improved email support with built-in SMTP client
- Support for PNG file format in addition to Bitmap and Jpeg when saving/emailing screen drawings and ink notes
- New sticky notes interface
PenOffice features Overview
PenOffice is a combination of a powerful handwriting recognition engine, and applications which allow you to extend the core PenOffice functions. This combination includes:
- Natural handwriting recognition: handwriting recognition engine component of PenOffice recognizes print, cursive, and mixed script as well as arbitrary symbols and control 'gestures'.
- Multilingual Support: PenOffice now supports nine languages and includes eleven dictionaries: Danish, Dutch, English (US and UK), French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese (EU and BR), Spanish and Swedish .
- Immediate usability: Unlike many handwriting recognition programs, PenOffice is ready to run right out of the box with no training required. You can, however, customize PenOffice to your personal handwriting style, thereby increasing PenOffice's already superb accuracy and speed.
- Built-in dictionary: PenOffice recognizes words from its integrated dictionaries. This includes a main dictionary containing approximately 100,000 words and a custom user dictionary. PenOffice also recognizes non-vocabulary words like personal names, geographical names, and arbitrary handwritten symbol strings.
- Inline Gestures: PenOffice allows you to embed control gestures in your writing. Simply write, inserting the gesture as you do, and keep writing. PenOffice recognizes the text and formats it based on the gesture(s) embedded within the text.
- Screen Draw mode: This feature allows you to use your screen as a virtual ScratchPad. You may save and e-mail drawings. You can also write while in drawing mode and have PenOffice convert your handwriting into typed text at a later time (deferred recognition).
- JPEG and PNG support: PenOffice lets you send your handwritten Notes and ScreenDraw drawings in PNG, JPEG and BMP formats, thus allowing your work to be viewed on multiple platforms.
- Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org Markup mode: Using PenOffice, you can mark up and forward your edits to others using Microsoft Office Word, Excel and Power Point documents as well as the Sun Microsystems’ OpenOffice.org Writer, Calc, Impress, and Draw applications. PenOffice supports Microsoft Office XP or later and OpenOffice.org 3.0 or later.
- PenCommander: PenCommander is a new feature in PenOffice, which allows you to launch pre-recorded, user-defined commands (PenCommands). To execute a PenCommand simply write the "Word Command" and draw a circle around it. PenCommander features are available only while PenOffice is in Recognition mode.
- Customizable on-screen keyboard: You can choose any characters, punctuation signs, or navigation buttons to appear on a 24-key customizable keyboard. Redesigned full on-screen keyboard now features 13 pre-defined layouts. You can also change the transparency of the keyboard.
- Spell checker: This feature works with practically any Windows application.
- ScratchPad: ScratchPad provides you with the electronic equivalent of 'sticky notes'.
- RiteCalc handwriting calculator: Simply write an equation, and let RiteCalc do the math for you.
- Extensive correction interface: By pointing out PenOffice's mistakes, you can improve its performance.
- Expandable Architecture: Look for future applications that will take advantage of PenOffice's powerful capabilities to further enhance your computing experience.
PenOffice Multilingual Edition supports seven languages: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Swedish, and Spanish. During installation configurations for all supported languages are installed. Use the PenOffice Configuration Manager to enable/disable configurations for specific languages. To switch between configurations (languages) use the Configuration gesture or add the Configuration Selection button to the PenOffice toolbar. If more that 3 configurations are enabled, the Configuration gesture or toolbar button displays a pop up menu listing all configurations.
Each PenOffice language pack includes the following language-specific modules:
- Handwriting recognition engine
- Spell Checker with modifiable user dictionary
- On screen pop-up keyboard layout
PenOffice requires the following minimum configuration
PenOffice 3.3 supports all editions of Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 and can be used with any pointing input device, such as graphic tablet, interactive while board, touch screen monitor, Tablet PC, online digital pen, and even standard computer mouse.